Tuesday 2 September 2014

Red Cloak Painting Guide

Here is my tutorial for red robes. Perhaps slightly trickier to follow since they weren't painted in a particularly regular way, but i'l sure try my best to explain.

First was a base coat of Mephiston Red, i applied two thinned coats.
After this I shaded with red and purple washes, and then made my own wash from a black and red mix which i applied into the recesses.




















Next i thinned some paints with mater and lahmian medium to be a bit more concentrated than a regular glaze i'd use. I glazed the robes in highlight areas back up to mephiston red, and then up to a mix of wazzadakka and mephiston red.




















I mix Lugganath orange with a small amount of  wazzadakke red,  and then do a fast and not too accurate edge highlight on all edges.
























I then glaze wazzadakka red, then wild rider red over the exposed highlight areas, whilst on the shadow's edge highlight i glaze the black and mephiston red mix.
I continue these layers until the edge highlight blends into the other colours on the model.
I then re-apply a thin and controlled edge highlight on the sharpest edges of the glazed area.
Bellow is a model where this step has been applied to the bottom half only.





















The end result being red robes like this:





















2 comments:

  1. Excellent use of glazes to blend the highlights. The end result is very smooth and really sharp. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. My Word Bearers thank you. Plenty of experimentation in the days ahead :)

    ReplyDelete